Thursday, June 29, 2006

I'm working on the illustrations for the new book, What Really Happened During Ancient Times for Knowledge Quest Inc.

This portrait of Gilgamesh is 4.75" x 7.75" and was done by combining elements from 4 different picture references.

The pictures of him that I have to work from are all of sculptures or bas relief. I tried to make him look alive. The background we want for these illustrations is a papyrus texture. The background isn't very difficult really...it's just light crosshatched pencil lines - I just have to remember to keep them only vertical and horizontal, then I go over them again in areas to give an even more irregular look like papyrus would have.

This is just a quick digital shot of the artwork. I still want to work on some fine details and the background a bit more.
This took about 2 hours. I used 2B, 4B, and 6B Tombow (Homo-Graph) Mono 100 pencils and a mechanical pencil with 2B graphite. The blending was done with a chamois and totillions. I use erasers as tools for highlighting, not just erasing...the erasers I used were the Staedtler-Mars white drafting eraser, kneaded rubber eraser, and a Clik-Pen eraser made by Pentel. Snacks were peanut M&Ms and Sunkist Orange Soda.

The other characters I will be drawing for this book are Eve, Constantine, Noah, Imhotep (Joseph as known to the Hebrews), Daniel, Cyrus the Great, Eratosthenes, and maybe another figure, but not sure yet.

Links of interest:
Other books in this series: http://www.bramleybooks.com
and if you are interested in timelines of history, please visit knowledgequestmaps.com too!
Darla Dixon Portrait Art and Illustration http://www.darladixon.com/

No comments:

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.