Tuesday, February 14, 2006

With 4 kids, I do about 3 loads of laundry per day. Sometimes even
four. It is key not to ever let it pile up. Another tip is to NOT take
it to your bedroom or bed for the sorting. What will invariably happen
is that you'll get distracted or just not get it all sorted and
delivered to its proper place before bedtime. Then what happens at
bedtime? We go, SWOOSH! - and throw it all on the dresser or whatever,
where it's left to languish for months or even years LOL

It's best to clear off your kitchen table and do all your wash in one
day if possible. I sort into piles by person, which saves on the time
to get each pile around to the right room.

I also think it's energy-efficient to keep the dryer going. The dryer
has large heat coils. It takes a lot of energy every time they have to
heat up. So I have a load drying, a load washing, and a load that's
been washed, but needs to be dried, in a plastic basket waiting to go
into the dryer as soon as the current load comes out.

I have so much laundry because I have 4 kids, and the youngest are 2
years old and 4 months old. But if you feel like you need to do 3
loads of laundry a day to JUST catch up, then your problem may be that
you have
too many clothes. Weed everything down to what you actually
wear. If you haven't worn it in a year, then donate it and get it out
of the house.

I have twin 12 year old daughters who often throw stuff in the laundry
basket that are really NOT dirty that they need to be washed again.
I have given them guidelines, but they usually go in one ear and out
the other. I just pick some things out and refold or hang them, and
the girls never know the difference...lol. A big laundry time saver
would be for me to hold THEM responsible for doing their own laundry
now. After all, it's not so difficult...they can work the TV remote, a
GameBoy Advance, the computer/games, and all kinds of stuff like that.
I think the washer and dryer are simple enough for them to handle now.

I actually don't hate laundry, I know a lot of people do...but it's
not really hard, it just takes time and focus to remember that you're
working on laundry. A lot of times a timer will help remind you to
move the laundry from the washer to the dryer if your problem is
forgetting and letting the clothes get all mildewy.

Darla
http://darladixon.com/
Special thanks to Lauri (Professional Organizer) of
http://www.clutterologist.com

for the blog topic idea!

No comments:

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.