Thursday, December 04, 2008

Art Calendar Business Magazine for Artists

There is an excellent magazine for artists called Art Calendar. Have you heard of it?

When I first saw it in a bookstore, the title of the magazine made me think it was just directory of art show dates or something like that. I couldn't imagine there could be a magazine about that, so I picked it up. As I looked through it, I saw it had all kinds of articles that are useful for someone who is working on making a living as an artist.

I immediately knew that Art Calendar was different from magazines like American Artist, Artist's, etc. Although they are good magazines, they cover mostly techniques and features on artists. They had very little about the business end of art.

Because I have the October, 2008 issue next to me here, I'll give a quick overview of what is in this issue, so you can get an idea of what to expect from this magazine.

The title: Art Calendar: the business magazine for visual artists:
  • Art Marketing
  • Juried Competitions
  • Grants
  • Fairs & Festivals
  • Career Advice
  • How to create commissions clients love
Features:
  • How an animal portraitist breeds clients
  • Making commissions part of your business
  • The art of commissioned work: communicating with your clients
  • Earn your M.A. or M.F.A. Online
  • Writing your artist resume
  • Tattooed Sargent: the business prowess of Shawn Barber
Art Calendar does include listings of art opportunities - that's where the title "Art Calendar" comes from, I guess. The magazine lists opportunities for artists to find awards, galleries reviewing portfolios, grants, fellowships, competitions, juried shows, festivals, residencies, and more.

Also in this issue:

Preparing For Your Financial Future-
  • Creating permanent portfolios of your work
  • Trusts and Estates
  • 10 Ways to Appeal to Investors
  • Low Cost Legal and Accounting Assistance for Artists
I have just touched on a few of the sections of this single issue.
I have subscribed for a year, and just renewed for 2 more years. I read this magazine from cover to cover, then I re-read the articles that are especially useful to me at the moment, then I put it in my magazine file, and I do find myself reaching for my old issues again. I would not throw away any of the issues.

You can subscribe to Art Calendar through Amazon.com
or visit www.ArtCalendar.com to find out more.

Art Calendar also sponsors a free networking site for artists and crafters called ArtScuttlebutt.com that you might also want to check out. It's a lot like MySpace, but for artists.

No comments:

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.