Friday, December 28, 2007

Christmas portrait of grandparents with grandchildren

I enjoyed doing this large pencil portrait of 9 people. I drew it mostly based on 8 photos, plus some additional reference photos. It worked well because I was able to get the grandchildren in age order from youngest to oldest in a clockwise direction, but also the grandchildren are in their family-groupings. I was really happy how that worked.

Rather than have them all vertical as in my layout diagram below, I tilted some of them to make the portrait look more lively. I use ovals in Paint Shop Pro to give a rough layout to clients sometimes.

I'm sorry the photo of the artwork is not very good. I have finally found someone in the Atlanta area who will be able to do large scans and/or large format photography of my artwork, and I'm very excited about that! It will allow me to not only have better quality samples of my art to share, but also will allow me to offer high quality art prints of portraits to my clients. I haven't figured it all out yet though, but it's a plan for 2008. :)

No comments:

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.