Sunday, August 14, 2005

'Little man' had a nice 2nd birthday yesterday, except for the still recurring tummy troubles. We blew up about 7 balloons and he went crazy with us slapping them around the living room.

DH (stands for Dear Husband) brought home a yellow cake with chocolate frosting (Pepperidge Farm)* and some ice cream. He also brought a candle in the shape of the number 2.

Little man blew out the candle on the first try! I told him it's like blowing bubbles, so he got the gist of what to do immediately.

*Here is the mommy guilt: I really wanted to make his cake, but I could just never get around to it, so many other things that had to be done and I wasn't feeling well. Isn't that terrible? But I think at his age, does he know or care whether I made the cake or not?!? Not really. I think it is better that mommy is well and not cranky, so I'll just have to get over the slight guilt feelings, because it's silly. It's just perfectionism really.

We gave him a wooden train set - the kind where the train cars connect with magnets, and he really enjoyed that. The girls each gave him a small stuffed animal. He caught on to the ripping open of the birthday presents pretty quickly.

We didn't go overboard with the event or the presents, and I think it was just right for a 2 year old. Any more than what we did would have probably been stressful. He knew it was a special event for him.

Little man woke up this morning at 6 am. (yikes)...I could really use more sleep. Because the dog hears us being up and active, he thinks it's HIS time for everything too (dogs don't wear wristwatches, durn it)

I have already read him (the boy, not the dog) Hop On Pop and some of Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things That Go. The kids in the stories are still hopping on Pop and in Cars and Trucks and Things That Go, Officer Flossie is still trying to catch Dingo Dog. Goldbug is still around, but you have to look closely for him. LOL...I tried to read him P.D. Eastman's Are You My Mother? Because that was one of my favorites when I was little, but I think the illustrations just aren't colorful enough for him. He will probably enjoy it in a year or two.

I have just been informed by Little Man that he has a 'poooooop.'
What a great way to start a day!

Darla
Pencil Portrait Drawing Artist
http://darladixon.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Darla,

I'm sure that your cutie will not mind whether you made the cake or not, but he will definitely remember being surrounded with love on his special day (slapping balloons is fun too!). I agree with you that too many presents would be overwhelming! When my nephew turned 2, instead of giving him one more thing for his parents to pick up after him, I started a college fund in his name. I put in a little nest egg for him to start out with, then let the rest of the family know how to contribute if they want. =)

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.