Friday, August 19, 2005

I just received the galley proof of the history book by email - I still have
2-1/4 illustrations to do, and send them my photo (eeeek!)
and then I will be "done." The book has an ISBN (International
Standard Book Number) and everything, and it looks FANTASTIC!

My artwork is in it like plates, and then in the back of the book,
there is a timeline in which my small versions of the same art is also used.
What a nice thing to wake up and find in my email!
Sure beats the Nigerian scam emails from Mrs. Miriam Abacha!

I woke up today at 4:30 am, after waking up each hour (practically) during the night.
Of course, my first thought was, "Oh yay! I can use this time before everybody gets up to get some
work done!"...and two minutes after saying that, I hear Little Man calling from his room. I swear, I think the boy has some kind of mommy-homing device, he can just sense when I am awake.

Yesterday, Little Man had his first try at preschool. He was there 4 hours. Separation was fine. We told him we would be "BACK," over and over. He didn't even fuss or cry. However, when we went to pick him up, he latched onto me like velcro. He could not be moved off my shoulder. I have never had him hold me so hard! He had a lot of fun playing with the other kids his age. They worked on learning the letter B. As I was putting him in his carseat, he said "B!" then "Backetbawall" (basketball)...so he did really learn about the letter b. :) He was really tired and after some juice he had a nice long nap in the afternoon.

I also got to meet Luana of My Simple Indulgence at her new shop in Loganville GA. Very pretty store! Gorgeous items. Handmade handbags, jewelry, etc. I have some pieces of my artwork there now, on consignment. It will be interesting to see what happens. I am also going to make some pieces especially for her store when I have time to do so.

Kids and responsibility...The girls have their summer reading projects due today. DD1 got hers done (after much struggle) but DD2 does NOT have hers done.
I have to resist the urge to 'save' them all the time. Their successes are not MY successes, and their failures are not MY failures. I have realized they will have to come to terms with their responsibilities. I have my own responsibilities, and they have theirs...to learn and grow. I have been saving them too much. I keep finding homework papers (10% of their grade) all over the house, project papers (40% of their grade), and I am continually giving them to them and telling them to put them away. No longer. They will need to learn to step up to the plate and not depend on me to catch them (in the non religious sense, anyway).
It is really hard to step back and watch them mess up and suffer a bit - but in the long run, I think natural consequence is the best teacher.


Darla
Portrait Art and Illustration
http://darladixon.com/

No comments:

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.