Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Drawing questions and answers

I received an email from a student in California who needed to ask some questions of a professional artist. These are short and sweet answers - I've noticed that using Twitter has helped keep me from going on and on! For example, for #4 below, I could list several things that are important rules about drawing. This is not supposed to be perfect instruction - I went with what came to mind first.
Here are his questions and my answers:

1. What motivates you to draw or continue drawing?

The service it provides people, it can be relaxing.

2. Are their any drawing techniques that you would recommend to enhance someones work(or is their any drawing advise)?

For pencil drawing, use chamois for blending.
If you are drawing from a photo, know what to draw and what NOT to draw (some people draw everything they see, and that's not necessary).

3. How do you feel about computerized art, compared to hand drawn art?

No matter what you are using to draw, it still requires creativity and drawing talent.

4. What do you feel is the most important rule to remember when drawing?

Make sure you get a decent level of contrast.

5. How has drawing effected your life? Has it had a positive effect on you or a negative effect?

Definitely it's been positive. It's not only a way of income, but it's an additional means to communicate ideas. Drawing also helps me as a stress reliever!

1 comment:

Chelsey Austin said...

I saw your tweet so I figured I would answer it...

How would I answer? Something like this I guess....

1. What motivates you to draw or continue drawing?
I love doing it. I like the finished feeling of “wow, I did that!”

2. Are their any drawing techniques that you would recommend to enhance someones work(or is their any drawing advise)?
I use cotton-tips to blend my pencil. I agree with Darla, don’t draw everything. Not everyone wants acne on their portrait, for example =) Also, draw to please yourself, not someone else and don’t be disheartened by critics or peers whose talent is different then yours or who might negative comments.

3. How do you feel about computerized art, compared to hand drawn art?
I think it is an amazing skill and a lot of people don’t realize the talent it takes to create something from scratch on a computer program. But I don’t rate one above the other.

4. What do you feel is the most important rule to remember when drawing?
Pencil pressure, its very important when creating shades and the possibility of removing mistakes.

5. How has drawing effected your life? Has it had a positive effect on you or a negative effect?
Positively effected; I make some income from it and it is always a conversation starter.

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.