Friday, June 15, 2007

plant roots of all evil

The leak detection guy came to the house today. He oddly reminded me of a better looking, younger Billy Crystal. Not as funny as Billy Crystal, but who is. The leak is under a boxwood bush by our front door. It cost $360 to confirm where the leak is located. The plumber charges $105 an hour for digging. I can save some money by digging it up myself. I went out with the lopping shears and cut off most of the branches as step one of the process.

I think the bush next to it will need to be removed too - better safe than sorry, since it's probably the roots of the plants that have wreaked this havoc unto me. It will be a slow job digging it out, because we'll need to be soooo careful not to cause worse damage. If the plant is just yanked out, it's going to rip the pipe out with it and we'd be without water until the plumber can fix it next week.

So it's going to be a painstaking excavation-type project. I'm not upset over losing the bush - it has gotten too big and blocks me from getting to the water faucet outside. But I didn't expect to do a bunch of gardening this weekend! I think it will be worth it though, because I can see taking the plant out could potentially take 2-3 hours x $105.

When I started cutting the plant, I kept hearing a squeal like sound that made me wonder if there was some kind of animal life lurking in the plant. I had to stop several times and look - thought maybe a bird nest, but didn't see anything. It was more than a little weird. Turns out it was just my sandals! That was my duh moment for the day.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by to read my blog!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Yikes. I'm all over saving money - thanks for the links to your coupon site btw- so I probably would have done the same thing.

And uh... perhaps it's time for some non-sqeeking shoes. :)

DD said...

They only squeak because they're not paid for...that's what my dad used to say! :)

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.